The SLBDC provides a broad range of business information and services including an on-site resource library. As well, a free counselling service is also available which provides referral to specialized consulting services (business start-up, business planning, small business advice, business coaching, etc.).
Potential entrepreneurs are educated about small business start up. They learn about business planning, regulations, sources of funding, government loan programs, and the hardships of being self-employed. Consulting is also available for both Business Planning Club and Export Development Initiative.
Many people, both employed and unemployed, consider self-employment at one time or another, but not everyone is a good candidate. Successful entrepreneurs have a good business idea, are driven to succeed and work extremely hard. One of the purposes of the SLBDC’s business and counselling service is to help people decide if self-employment is right for them. After this initial investigation, some people decide not to start their own business. In turn, this prevents non-serious businesses from starting up, therefore protecting area businesses and people from losses that could result in bankruptcy.
The SLBDC dedicates substantial time to providing free counselling to support the start-up, expansion and diversification of small and medium-sized businesses in Lambton County with the objective of improving their competitiveness. Free counselling is provided on topics including business planning, how to operate a small business, problem solving, financial management, loan and grant options, income tax issues, cost control, service, quality and inventory control, marketing and sales and other key functions.
Last year staff spent about 3,300 hours talking to over 2,200 people with general business inquiries. This translates into 2 staff members working full time, year-round, just to deal with initial business questions.
The benefits of this free counselling service are immeasurable. People who cannot afford the services of a professional consultant and/or an accountant are especially grateful to get the basic information that they need from the SLBDC. Clients may also be provided with a referral to a person or organization who can further discuss the issues and problems that they face. These clients often express frustration that they have been referred from one government office to another with no results.
- SLBDC Business Library: The SLBDC maintains an on-site business library containing hundreds of publications of interest to small businesses on a wide range of topics including business start-up, legal issues, exporting and importing, marketing and sales, employee management, accounting and income tax.
- The WIN (Women In Networking) Monthly Networking Lunch
Held at various locations the third Wednesday of each month from 11:30 – 1:00 PM RSVP to Julie Jenkins
- The Sarnia Chamber of Commerce (Events held at various locations)
- SLBDC OSEB Facebook Networking Group Online Networking
- Community Futures Network of Canada
- OACFDC Learn Online
- Where can you register your business in Sarnia
The cost to register your business name in person at the above mentioned location is $60.00 to register and $8.00 to do a name search.
- Register your Business Name Online
You will have to have a credit card to use the above mentioned method.
- Gov’t of Canada- Canada Business Network Resources
- GST/HST Registration Information
- Small Business Workshop
- Setting up a Business – The Basics
- Basic Regulations for Getting Your Business Started
- Ontario Website Business Section
- Business Name Search, Registration & Renewal
- Canada Business Ontario
& Internet Tips
- What you should know when purchasing your domain
- Website extensions and what they mean
- Meta Tags – What are they and how can they work for you?
- How to choose a web developer that is right for you
- Glossary Of Internet Terms
- Internet Basics – Learning the Lingo
- Web Design Tools – Canva.com
- Personal Information and Scams Protection – A Canadian Practical Guide
- eBay Terms
- eBay Fees
- eBay Getting Started
- PayPal Fees
- Check Your Internet Speed Connection